Well, I was finally able to buy a vehicle. This is a first of many for me. First truck, first diesel, first 4x4, first white vehicle, first vehicle purchased in a foreign country. Maru is helping me expedite the paperwork for the title and registration for $130 because she has connections in Panama City. Otherwise, I would have to travel a total of 16 hours, spend a night or two in Panama City, and deal with a ton of bureaucratic BS, so it's worth it to me. I still need to buy insurance. My passport and visa are acceptable as a license (not sure why that is...so anyone who wants to drive and doesn't have a license, come to Panama)! Dealing with the transferring of money has been an absolute nightmare. My bank is so fired when I go back to the US for a visit.
This morning, I met Janeth and her friend Yvonne (I think) for climbing. I bought a longer (than my first) machete last night so I could cut the grass at the base of the wall. Last time I climbed there, there was a huge snake in the grass and if someone else hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't have seen it...not sure if it was dangerous, but not really wanting to accidentally find out, hence the machete. We had perfect weather, and then went hiking at the Bajo Mono trail. What an amazing hike! Janeth can probably run circles around most men I know, she's like an energizer bunny. She took us way up into the mountains to two huge waterfalls. At the second one, she explained her favorite route to experience the waterfall, which involved climbing on slippery rocks in icy water, going under the falls themselves, and then swimming back across. It was absolutely freezing! I really need to get another camera, the scenery was stunning. Janeth is a Spanish teacher and is great to hang out with cuz I get to practice the whole time. Like other people here, we spend some time on English too as a trade. On the way back to the car, we came across the land owner (squatter) who was pleased to see two cute Panamanian girls, but frowned when he saw me and demanded $5 for crossing his land. I pretended I didn't speak any Spanish and the girls gave him $1. He reluctantly accepted the offer. If I go back, I will come with a gift...I have a real problem giving bribes of cash.

No comments:
Post a Comment