Met Ryan "science boy" for a field trip. He works for the government and measures stream/river levels all over CO. I have to say, after seeing what he gets paid to do, I may consider a career change in the future. That said, I didn't see any of the scientific number-crunching statistical stuff that would probably prevent me from doing a job like this :) I had a great time learning parts of what he does. I had no idea how serious the government takes water levels. It makes sense though since water is projected to someday be worth more than gold. They actually measure levels every 15 minutes electronically to make sure there are no major deviations (which could mean someone is taking/dumping, or there has been a major shift in the structure of the river). If there are any major deviations, Ryan goes out on site to see what's up. Sometimes there has been a change in the flow of the river, and sometimes there is a problem with the measuring equipment. Fascinating stuff. Thanks Ryan!
Ryan and his truck.
Ryan measuring river flow in a Colorado Springs river.

No comments:
Post a Comment