Monday, April 19, 2010

Carne Mono








I hopped a bus from Boquete to David this morning to see Adam's band play at a Sunday market (Barrio Bolivar Museo). It was awesome until some lady dressed like a park ranger got up on stage and kept insisting that everyone try the "mono." Mono means Monkey in Spanish, so I was feeling pretty creeped out but I tried to maintain an open mind. Adam's girlfriend saw my reaction and took me to where the mono was sold. She also insisted I at least try it, but I refused and told her I could not imagine what my friends and family would think about me eating monkey meat. She played it out very well and finally confessed it wasn't monkey but a combination of rice, beans, plantain, and beef wrapped in a giant leaf. She bought me one and it was delicious. I hope I don't find out later that it really was monkey meat. Great day!

2 comments:

  1. Great big gobs of mutilated monkey meat, itty bitty birdy feet, isn't it a tastey treat, and I forgot my spoon! Ok, that's not how it goes, but it's close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, this is it

    Great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts
    Mutilated monkey feet
    Chopped up baby parakeet
    Great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts
    And me without my spoon

    ReplyDelete